Se emne

Hvem er her? 1 gæst(er)
 Udskriv emne
Man er først rigtig Thai-integreret når ...
dardi
#1 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 28-11-2012 09:44
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 256

How to tell if you're still a farang

Published: 28/11/2012 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News

As a Thai who has spent some time abroad I consider myself able to evaluate whether a farang, (I use this term endearingly) has been properly assimilated into Thai society.

So I thought it might be useful to my many farang friends and readers to devise a simple test to help guide farang who may be wondering whether they have indeed successfully made the seamless transition into becoming a Thai.

Here is my simple test.

- You're a farang if you still comprehend satire and sarcasm and find it amusing. I have written about this in my previous articles, but for the benefit of touchy Thai readers who might find my sweeping generalisations offensive it is certainly not intended as such. Satire and sarcasm can land you in deep water so please exercise it with extreme caution.

- You're a farang if you still can't understand why Thai women marry Thai men. Most farang think Thai men are women-suppressing, self-aggrandising, backward-thinking, chain-smoking, whiskey-guzzling, time-wasting delinquents. Farang simply don't understand why a nice Thai girl would marry someone that is devoid of any endearing or redeeming qualities commonly found in many farang men.

Well, this might be news to you, but getting married in this country is often not about what the woman wants in a partner, but rather what her Thai parents deem acceptable as someone that's going to become their daughter's husband. Many Thai marriages are family affairs.

- You're a farang if you still think it is important to be punctual and get extremely irritated with Thais' nonchalant attitude towards tardiness.

Here is some sound advice when making an appointment. If you've got an appointment with a Thai at 5pm, add another 15 minutes.

If the meeting is on Friday, you'd better add 30 minutes.

If the person you're meeting is a Thai woman, you'd better add an hour. Now you've got the idea.

- You're a farang if you love Max, your golden retriever, more than you love your wife. The English are especially guilty of this.

The love that the English have for their dogs is world-famous. Only a fatal accident or an earthquake above seven on the Richter scale would prevent an Englishman from walking his dog once a day after supper.

Of course, Thais are also extremely fond of their canine friends. That is, until man's best friend _ in a few certain provinces _ provides their master with a cheap alternative to your Christmas turkey.

- You're a farang if you still can't appreciate gossiping, or have yet to master the technique.

Gossiping for Thais is more than pastime. Rumours and innuendos have become one of the foundations of our entire culture. The way that Thais behave socially has simply not kept up with the great strides we have made technologically or economically.

Essentially, we behave as though we are Hobbits of the Shire where everyone else's business is our own. Unfortunately our village mentality leads us to cherry-picking facts to accommodate prejudices. The truth in many cases is buried under a huge pile of putrid lies and comtemptible deceit.

- You're a farang if you still walk a Bangkok zebra crossing with total confidence passing vehicles will screech to a halt and allow you safe passage. Many farang have tried this but unfortunately not many have lived to tell their tale.

- You're a farang if you still think Red Bull has farang origins.

- You're a farang if after a few years of living in Thailand you still prefer using a fork rather than a spoon to eat rice.

- You're a farang if you still expect Thai politicians to resign over offences like committing adultery while in office. The resignation of someone like General Patraeus, a decorated war hero and the director of the Central Intelligence Agency over an admitted affair with his married biographer would be unheard of here.

Recently in the United Kingdom, government Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell had to hand in his resignation to the prime minister because he swore at a Downing Street police officer and called him a "pleb".

A few years before the Mitchell affair, the then-prime minister Gordon Brown of the previous Labour Government resigned as party leader after that little hiccup known as "losing a general election".

In Thailand we prefer our political and military leaders to be unshackled by high ethical and moral standards, unhindered by the demands of personal accountability and unburdened by the sense of shame that would make lesser men breakdown under the glare of public scrutiny.

- And lastly, you're a farang, if after living here for a decade your Thai is still only good enough to order chicken rice and iced tea.

However, for you uninspired farang who find it hard to learn Thai, look no further than His Excellency Mark Kent, the British Ambassador who gave a whole welcome speech in Thai at a lovely gathering held in the Ambassador's Residence which I attended recently.

For you Brits out there, now you know who to call for free Thai lessons!

Songkran Grachangnetara is an entrepreneur. He graduated from The London School of Economics and Columbia University. He can be reached at Twitter: @SongkranTalk

http://www.bangko...l-a-farang
Det gode ved kristendommen er, den har givet os noget at sige, når vi slår foden.
Til forsiden  Til toppen  Til bunden
farang
#2 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 28-11-2012 11:52
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 457

hej
vi er og bliver faranger i thaiernes øjne uanset hvad, jeg tror aldrig vi/jeg bliver rigtig Thai-integreret Grin
Quintess
#3 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 29-11-2012 12:10

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 2

hej
måske er jeg bare heldig, min hustru (thai) forsøger med al ihærdighed at lære mig Thai, Thai maneer, not like joking, trafik eller regler for sammme, her gælder andre regler, spørg blot min viv, you are too slow go go go, selv om det betyder overhalinger inden om, køre i bus lanes Fine efter lang disk. 100 Bath, de er meget venlige Thai politimænd, men for H. er det dyrt i længden, specielt sidst på måneden.Modkørende"motorcyke", intet problem blot man undgår at torpedere een. Tilgængæld spørg om vej de ved exakt hvordan man kommer frem - dong bai, colur red lev side colur red lev kvar hvor svært kan det være - godt med en navigator Esasy pass og en bunke af tid- GPS 20 min reelt 1 time for 300 meter. Slaf af trafic - trafic så 1 time for sent til møde ingen tager anstød - tænk hvis vi i DK kunne udvise samme flexibilitet og conduite.Danmark
Johan
#4 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 29-11-2012 13:03
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 22

What's is wrong with being a farang? godag

Should you need a room in Patong then have a look at http://niku.nu/
Anonym
#5 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 29-11-2012 15:55

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 191

farang skrev:
hej
vi er og bliver faranger i thaiernes øjne uanset hvad, jeg tror aldrig vi/jeg bliver rigtig Thai-integreret Grin

Hvor har du dog ret...

Vi er og bliver fremmede her. Glem alt det med, at gå med gul skjorte om mandagen og mange andre finurligheder, for
at "møve" os ind på Thai kulturen og Thai opførsel.

Vi er gennem skuet og Thaie'erne, bærer over med os, af høflighed.

Hverken mere eller mindre.
Johan
#6 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 30-11-2012 12:59
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 22

Gule skjorter er ikke så populære som for tre år siden. Dengang var det meget normalt at gå med dem om mandagen, det ses ikke mere på gaden, efter at de er blevet et politisk symbol. Græder
IT
#7 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 01-12-2012 03:49
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 1743

hej

vi er og bliver faranger hele livet Thumb
Fruen i huset og mig Stakles lille mig var til byfest, jeg bliver væk i flokken af kønne piger

med et lyder det i højtalerene, Farang kom frem til scenen, hvor din kone venter på dig

de bruger ikke mit navn, kun ordret Farang Grin
Isan is the poorest region of Thailand: in 2002 average wages were the ... Isan (Isan/Thai: อีสาน; also written as Isaan, Isarn, Issan, ...
sank
#8 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 14-12-2018 03:37
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 1835

Grin
Gå til debat:

Lignende tråde

Emne Forum Svar Nyeste indlæg
Inside a Thai prison... and more stories Discover Thainess 9 28-03-2024 09:47
Thai man survives black bear attack during ant egg hunt Nordøst Thailand 1 13-03-2024 14:14
World Muay Thai Championship Kicks Off Today on Jomtien Beach! Nyheder fra Pattaya 1 11-03-2024 14:18
Jailed former Thai leader Thaksin granted parole - PM Nyheder på andre sprog 4 19-02-2024 11:31
Thai Airways klar med stor ordre Flyselskaber 1 12-02-2024 15:04

Alt indhold på denne side er Copyright @ copy 2009 Thai DK Debat Forum Alle rettigheder forbeholdes Siden er optimeret til 1024 * 768