Torch has passed on, says Thaksin
thai
#1 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 17-10-2011 02:21
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 3424

skal vi tro på den historie ved ikke

DUBAI : Many of Thaksin Shinawatra's supporters and politicians in the Pheu Thai Party want him to come back and lead the country as prime minister again. But Thaksin has declared he has quit politics and will not return, although he hopes to return home after nearly five years in self-exile.

"Yingluck [Shinawatra], the youngest sister of our family, is now the prime minister.

"It has passed my generation already, so my generation should not return to politics," said Thaksin in a recent exclusive interview with the Bangkok Post in this Middle Eastern state.

He noted he was "misquoted" by some international news outlets that he would return to lead the country again.

"What I mean is that I am in debt to the Thai people and whatever advice I can offer to benefit Thais, I will give.

"But I will let my sister do her job and will stay away from management. I will not interfere."

Thaksin said it would be easier for Ms Yingluck to help the country reconcile because she is a woman.

As the ruling party, Pheu Thai was willing to "step backwards" to enable reconciliation.

"Yingluck represents me," he said. "She will not retaliate or engage in verbal battles with anybody and I think that will be the key to reconciliation." Thaksin said he was confident he would be able to return home without facing jail time.

"I will go back to where I belong, although I don't know when or how.

"It's my country. My family, my people and my home are there, and I miss them a lot."

National reconciliation was not a "mission impossible", but would depend on the Democrats and Pheu Thai, the main political parties.

"If they can agree upon three elements, we can achieve reconciliation.

"The first is to set clear rules for politics, second is that they agree to play by the rules and the third one is that the bodies overseeing the rules must be neutral and fair."

As for himself, he said he had forgiven those responsible for what happened to him.

"This year is His Majesty the King's 84th birthday, so it is an auspicious year to start a new era. Let bygones be bygones.

"Winning and losing in politics should not be an important issue. If you win, you form the government, and if you lose, you become the opposition.

"Both sides have a responsibility to work for the country," he said.

He disagreed with comments that if he could not return to Thailand as a "free" person, reconciliation would not take place. "No. It's not me. Ignore me," he said.

"I should not be a key element in reconciliation talks. The country should be the key. If we continue to live like this, in a conflict-ridden situation, it will be the end of the country.

'Not about me'

"So the first thing to do is to forgive and forget. Forget about me. When reconciliation takes place, I will be able to go back home."

He said conflict has plagued the country for several years because "[certain parties] did not play by rules. Not only were rules breached, but many new rules were written [to target me]."

He declined to comment on efforts by his supporters to seek a royal pardon or amnesty for him.

"A royal pardon is His Majesty the King's perogative. Nobody should make any comment."

When asked about relations between the Yingluck government and the army, Thaksin, who was ousted in the Sept 26, 2006 coup, said: "They are quite good. At present, the government is working hard to fight the flood disaster, and it needs support from all sectors.

"The army has a lot of manpower and it cooperates with and supports the government."

Thaksin said it was no longer easy for the military to stage a coup, as it would not be accepted by the international community.

However, he could not rule out the possibility.

He likened coups in Thailand to a ya ba (methamphetamine) addiction. "Those who are addicted to ya ba will do anything to get the pills. Similarly, those who are addicted to power will do anything to obtain power," he said.

"So to prevent coups, we must strengthen democracy. If democracy flourishes, the military will have to stay in their camps."

When questioned about his loyalty to His Majesty the King, Thaksin turns serious and admits the question always upsets him.

"I have explained again and again that I am loyal to the monarchy. The King is loved by all Thais, but some people have tried to monopolise that loyalty and point fingers at others, accusing them of not being loyal."

Some key figures in the red shirts face lese majeste charges, but Thaksin says the red shirts are not alone in having their loyalty questioned.

"The red shirts come from all walks of life, so there might be some who think differently than others.

"This does not happen only in the red-shirt group. It is also the same in other circles.

"But I can say that more than 99% of the red shirts love the King."

Kwanchai Praipana, a red-shirt leader in Udon Thani, announced recently plans to form the Daeng Rak Chao (Reds Love the Monarchy) group, but he received a cool response from his allies.

When asked about this, Thaksin said: "No, this is not an indication about red shirts' loyalty.

"It's about Kwanchai. The name of the group is Daeng Rak Chao.

"Does he mean that if you do not join him, you did not love the King?

"It's nonsense. He is not accepted by the red shirts. That's all."

Thaksin said he was willing to provide any services to the monarchy, adding that: "If I know what I am wanted for, I will not be reluctant."

http://www.bangko...ys-thaksin
Til forsiden  Til toppen  Til bunden
XP
#2 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 17-10-2011 11:55
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 253

den mand lyver konstant Angry så er det sagt
Til forsiden  Til toppen  Til bunden
Gå til debat:

Lignende tråde

Emne Forum Svar Nyeste indlæg
Jailed former Thai leader Thaksin granted parole - PM Nyheder på andre sprog 4 19-02-2024 11:31
Ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra granted royal pardon Discover Thainess 1 04-09-2023 11:22
Den tidligere thailandske præsident, Thaksin Shinawatra, vendt tilbage til Thailand Nyheder på dansk 1 22-08-2023 13:58
Thailand to ask Hong Kong to extradite Thaksin Shinawatra, exiled former Thai prime minister Nyheder på andre sprog 2 24-03-2019 06:13
Poul Albertsen has passed away De fastboende 1 13-09-2016 13:13

Alt indhold på denne side er Copyright @ copy 2009 Thai DK Debat Forum Alle rettigheder forbeholdes Siden er optimeret til 1024 * 768