Udskriv emne
11 arrested fighters cooperating
pirat
#1 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 05-10-2010 02:04
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 713

Eleven men apprehended on Sunday at a Chiang Mai resort had received weapons training for purposes targeting national security, but have now cooperated and vowed to disclose useful information to authorities, a police commander said yesterday.
According to initial interviews with the men, a movement was set up to subvert the country through acts of terror - details confirmed in intelligence reports by various agencies, said Pol Maj-General Chaiya Sriramphankul, acting commander of Regional Police Bureau 5, whose jurisdiction covers the North and the province.

He said police were treating the matter purely as a criminal case without seeking political motives. He refused to indicate whether the men were red fighters, or linked to the infamous "men in black", who are believed to be behind incidents of violence during the red-shirt protests in May.

"We have information about the weapons training they received, and their involvement in various activities including bomb-related incidents, the anti-monarchy movement, assassination plots and other incidents which caused disruption to public order in Bangkok and elsewhere," he said, without giving further details.

"If all details [coming from the 11 suspects] are linked together, and coupled with information achieved through investigations by the Department of Special Investigation into more than 200 incidents, they will be very useful for the country, but I cannot tell whether it would lead to reconciliation in the end," the officer said.

News reports in Thai-language dailies yesterday said the suspects were involved in a plan to assassinate key government ally Newin Chidchob for Bt20 million. The Bhum Jai Thai Party de-facto leader publicly acknowledged the plot at his birthday party yesterday evening. In his remarks, Newin implied he knew exactly who wanted him dead.

The 11 men have not been charged but are still under police custody for further questioning, the officer said, adding that not all were natives of the North. But he declined to reveal their identities.

There are other groups receiving similar weapons' training and scheming to carry out similar activities, "but I can't tell you where they are based now. It's a sensitive issue and may affect investor confidence if details are revealed", he said.

Meanwhile, police yesterday arrested a cobbler for allegedly making a prank bomb threat against the Siriraj Hospital last week.

Police said Suriyan Kokpuey admitted to the crime and is now in custody pending prosecution. He is a supporter of the red-shirt movement and said he selected the target because it was an important place, and did the prank out of his dislike for a coalition party.

Newin hints at Thaksin's role in assassination attempts

Newin Chidchob dropped a bombshell yesterday, hinting that fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was behind the reported assassination plans against important figures.
"There are a few people in this country who hate me and are angry with me, but there is only one person who can afford to hire somebody to harm me," Newin said without mentioning any name.

Newin was referring to the arrest on Sunday of 11 men suspected of involvement in a move to overthrow Thailand's revered monarchy and planning assassinations.

Newin said he had known about the training of the fighters for over two months and said he was among the assassination targets, the others being Premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, and ex-Army chief Anupong Paochinda.

With tears in his eyes, the Bhum Jai Thai Party's de-facto leader begged Thaksin to stop harming Thailand.

"I'd like to implore you to think about the country's peace. If you really love Thailand, please stop and please use other means to make this country peaceful," Newin said.

"You are not living a miserable life abroad but Thai people are now living in difficulty because of what you are doing. So, I beg you to stop what you are doing if you really love Thailand."

Newin referred to the "you" who stayed abroad without mentioning the name. But when reporters asked him to clarify, Newin said "I don't need to explain. There's only person. I'm courageous enough to say that he is my ex-master."

He said Thaksin had announced his readiness to support the reconciliation process but he and his men were acting to the contrary.

Newin was speaking to reporters at his house in Buri Ram, where many provincial governors showed up to celebrate his 52nd birthday.

"I do not want to become a prime minister or take any political posts for the rest of my life. I promise never to return to politics, but I will do anything for the sake of this country," he said.

Meanwhile, Thaksin plans to file a lawsuit against Newin for accusing the ex-PM of being behind assassination attempts, the fugitive's personal legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said.

"Thaksin told me he never wanted to take revenge against Newin. I challenge Newin to show evidence that Thaksin was involved. I'm preparing to file a lawsuit against Newin for defama-tion," Noppadon said.

http://www.nation...39368.html
Til forsiden  Til toppen  Til bunden
Gå til debat:

Lignende tråde

Emne Forum Svar Nyeste indlæg
Drunk Norwegian Arrested In Pattaya! videoer Fra Pattaya 1 16-08-2022 09:02
Wild Monkey 'Arrested' After Stealing Food From Police Station Billeder/Videoer fra livet i Thailand 1 28-01-2020 17:33
British Couple Arrested In Phuket For Stealing Smartwatch Nyheder fra Phuket 1 22-12-2019 11:17
Two Israeli’s Arrested At DMK Following Samui Slaying Nyheder på andre sprog 3 22-08-2018 04:41
Two arrested on Koh Samui, three gibbons rescued Nyheder på andre sprog 1 27-07-2018 13:47

Alt indhold på denne side er Copyright @ copy 2009 Thai DK Debat Forum Alle rettigheder forbeholdes Siden er optimeret til 1024 * 768